Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sprouts!

So my experiment this week is sprouting.  For those that want to grow something with basically no labor involved, sprouts are the perfect food.
Basically, you put water on beans/seeds, and they sprout within the next few days.  Fruits and vegetables lose some of their nutrients as soon as they are picked.  Often produce travels a long distance before making it into your meal, which leads to decreased nutritional value.  Freezing, cooking, chopping, and even just exposure to air also cause a decline in vitamins and minerals.  Sprouts, on the other hand, are in the most nutritious stage of a plant's life.  They have tons of enzymes and vitamins, especially A and C (but it depends on what you're sprouting).

I happened to have lentils in my cabinet, so I used those.  Lentil sprouts should be eaten within 2-3 days of being soaked.  They're rich in protein, Vitamins A and B.  I'm going to eat them on a bagel with hummus.  This alone should be nearly enough protein for the day

The video I watched to learn how to sprout is extremely amusing.  I will certainly try to find more media from this duo.

No comments:

Post a Comment